I QUIT!!!

Jul 26, 2012

Back then when I was going through a rough times on Wonderland Online, I kept telling my guild mates of my plan to quit. I did quit...but only for a day or two (lol!). I lost count of the number of times I voiced this out. No matter how much we like to seek pleasure in the game, there will come a situation, some circumstances and unavoidable troubles along the way. 

The problem isn't the game itself nor the players as well. It was really me. I started playing Maple Story (MS) with my best friend. Somehow, I get used to him being the compassionate man that he was. We met some few good friends and everyone was just so downright nice to me. There was nary much drama or anyone coming close to attacking me verbally. 

I was gullible enough to think that my life will be the same once I migrated to Wonderland Online (WLO).  I thought that everyone will be as sophisticated as the people I met at MS. The realization began to sink in after my best friend left WLO for good. I was so lost in the game that it took me a while to rebuild my self-esteem and get more sociable. 

I started by joining a guild and met some of the players that became my good friends 'till this day. However, joining that guild proves to be my wrongdoing. I met a pair of mother and son who became my most hated people after I left their guild. I was too blind to see how dominating and manipulating they can be. 

With them, I experienced how it felt to be blatantly accused of senseless things as well as being on the receiving end of their endless insults and cursing. With them, I was branded as the hacker when they have no evidence to show. With them, I must had aged 100 times faster than I want to. 

I was a nerve of bundles facing them alone and still keeping my composure when they confronted me. At a times like this, how I wish my best friend was with me. I know he will be at my side helping me to deal with them. But he wasn't there anymore so I had only myself to square it off with them. 

But this wasn't the end of all the troubles I had. There are "friends" who can't seems to understand who I am really. I am passionate with most things I do and I supposed it wasn't a good way to be one when you're inside WLO. Loyalty and trust are what I treasured most when it comes to friendships. But WLO players seems to be lacking in this department. 

Somehow, I was reminded of the old cliche' "this is just a game." With this on my mind, I began to grow up as a player. I mentioned in one of my old thread that cynicism seems to be only option if you want to stay in this game. Stop caring for others, stop showing concern, stop getting chatty and I will be on surer ground to avoid showing my weakness. 

I also stop yelling "I quit." I couldn't give a specific time frame when to retire from the game for good. I will let time decide when I should make my graceful exit. For the time being, I will be singing a different tune and that is "AFK."

Joining the Taurus group at Facebook, I notice a lot are saying goodbye to WLO. Some sell their characters claiming they are quitting the game. A few Taurus players did this and yet you still see them coming online using their alts. Some came with their alts just to chat with old friends. Some came to look for drama. Whatever their reasoning was, it was none of my business. 

Nevertheless, being on the outside, I began to realize how ridiculous one may sound if they posted at Taurus group and announced that they quit. I could picture myself once in their shoe and didn't like what I am seeing. I sounded pathetic back then. When the time comes, I will just leave the game as quietly as I entered the game 4 years ago. 

We all know all things does come to an end. Online game isn't any different. I could still see players who hang on despite being in the game since its beta stage. Whatever obstacles, arguments and drama I faced before, it all melted down with only one thing in my mind: to finish the race. I leave it all to you to second guess what it may means. For now, have fun and enjoy :)