GROWING OLD WITH WLO

Jun 2, 2012
I remember vividly it was nearly the end of Wonderland Online version 3 era when I joined the game. Not once had it ever occurred to me that I will last through 3 years with the game. Like any other new games, everything seemed refreshing. There was so much to do, to learn and to explore. I'm one girl who is always insatiable when it comes to discovering new things. However, despite multitasking, there was never enough time to fit in my hyperkinetic nature.

One of the main attraction of the game was the chance to create your own tent/house. It was one thing that pulled me to try on the game. It was just like having your own virtual doll house. As a matter of fact, the first thing that I did was to keep manufacturing stuff and getting impatient along the way to see my fully furnished house. To date, almost all my characters and even some alts have their house furnished completely. 

Another feature that I love was the accordance for each player to AFK (away from the keyboard) while training. Everyone knows how hard it is to keep training our characters. The game offered a free electron remote wherein a player can set it according to their training preferences. When the item mall (IM) remote was released, the goddess training suddenly became an easy task. Unfortunately, not everyone can afford an IM remote as this requires real money. But this shouldn't be a problem when you are a residence of the USA and UK. They have surveys available to get free points. 

It was around the middle of version 4 when I discovered about the different versions of the game. Thanks to the WLO forum. I learned a lot just by browsing through the thread. 


I honestly couldn't remember anything about this version. I only remember downloading the whole client for almost half the day and about a week or so past, my best friend informed me that I needed to download a new client patch. 

In this version, I created my first and main character, Federica. It was fortunate that I didn't mess up with her point statistic. My Federica is a fire mage and all I did was to keep adding her points to intelligence without really knowing what it was.  A common norm we always heard was players complaining about how they built their first characters in the wrong way. I may have added Federica's points correctly but I remember her dying almost a hundred times each day due to her low constitution (HP). 

Each place Federica tumbled on never failed to scare the wits out of me. The game seemed a huge planet that I always had to pester my best friend to guide me. I always ran out of fuels whenever I traveled alone because I wasn't familiar yet with the places.  Being a newbie was fun.


It was on this particular version that I slowly adapted to the game. This was, by far, the most dramatic version on my part. I lost my best friend and was forced to learn everything on my own. At a times like this, pride can be good. It helps you to keep going. I wasn't sure I could go on with the game..but I did. 

Aside from selling syrups, I slowly learned my way to compound armors and weapons on my own. It wasn't an easy feat having to go through many months of stifling my fingers clicking one by one in the name of alchemy. Nevertheless, being an alchemist isn't something I regret to learn. It proves to be my Lifeblood in the game. 

I also acquired a few enemies on this particular version. I was too naive to understand that "this is just a game." I let my emotions overruled the way I play and becoming an "emo" in the process. I can't say this was the worst version I had to face but it was a version that showed me my strength as well as my weaknesses.


In this version, I was able to build my self-confidence. I created my very first guild, "Federalliz," and later on, renamed it to "Oasis." I felt that Federalliz was so far out of sync with my personality. I was still that sensitive girl in this version having to face so many stress and pressures surrounding my guild members. 

I stipulated some rules on my guild and getting angst whenever a member didn't follow the rules. I can't learn to loosen up and impulsively kicking out members. I lost a few good men with my actions too. I wouldn't say that I regretted my behavior. I am always a principled girl and I wouldn't be me if I will always be lenient with my members. 

Being more wiser and gaining more knowledge, I really prepared my characters. I was dead set on training religiously to be able to do hard to difficult quests. It was on this version that I created Teacup. She was fated to be my only wind for the fatal blow quest that proves to be the hardest one to train too. So much patience needed for this little girl.


If I am not mistaken, this is the largest client patch that I needed to download. Compared to the older versions, IGG seemed to load up a lot of new things and questing. Fatal Blow became the most expensive quest to acquire in this version. I was ready for that one. I felt so much happiness when I finished my first FB without an outside help. 

On the alchemy department, I was more frustrated than excited because a few of the new armors and weapons are a pain to compound. It was a pure gambling for all alchemist whether to succeed or see their products melted into a common stone. I had acquired a few good common stones of my own. 

But as always, the excitement went on for a short duration of about 2 weeks only and everyone started to complain of boredom again. I tried to kill off my boredom by actively compounding and selling quest on the sideline.

It was during the version 6+ that my motivation toward the game started to dwindle down.  I seriously lost all interest as I moved on to a newer ground. I supposed all things comes to an end in due time. I just do not know when I will be leaving the game for good.


As of this writing, IGG is already showing some spoiler of the imminent arrival of new version. This one looks like another disappointment. Like a carbon copy of the previous version 6+, only that in this version, there will be 2 new pet reborn. Other than that,  there is not much to look forward to. Armors and weapons still look the same except for the colors and statistic. 

I heard that the developer of Chinese and the Japanese version of WLO hasn't been actively updating the game yet. I am just making the assumption that after this new version, the next client patch is going to be a long wait. 'Till then, we don't know what this game will become of. 

In the meantime, I just try to do what I can within the game. Anyone who knows me knew that I am basically online for training only. My last 3 years spent on the game was a good experience. Getting to know a lot of players and knowing we are all in this game to seek entertainment and relaxation. See you all in the new version and enjoy :)