WASTE NOT...WANT NOT...

Nov 14, 2011
I first came across the idiomatic phrase by reading a book "The Best Laid Plan," penned down by my favorite author of all time, Sidney Sheldon. Anyone should try to get a hold of all his books. He was a masterpiece and at his best element when writing. Enough said about him. It was because of this particular idiom that prompted me to blog about this post. 

After months of inactivity from playing Wonderland Online, I suddenly felt the whim to splurge on a 200 IM points (in-game virtual cash) which was equivalent to US$11.00. I was testing my luck by trying my hand on getting either a unicorn card or the dark bunny ears as part of the Autumn event within the game. It was available for 23 points each and I bought 8 packs all in all. Within a few seconds, I opened all packs and got 2 pumpkin cards, a jade grass and the rest were either chicken rice or fugu food. How lovely of  IGG to never neglect serving us an eat-all-you-can platter of dishes in every drop events.

Nothing extraordinary stuff there but this made me realize how much we are being lured by the temptation of an online game. This goes to every imaginable games we can see or think of that never fails to pump us with lucrative offers or "to die for" items.  And like the saying goes, "everything comes with a price," and spent we did for the glory of achieving the ideal character we sought for. Here's the big question mark: Is it worth it?

I am guilty of spending a little too much on a game that never cared, that never knows the word "justice," and a game that had turned into a monkey greedy machine. In all fairness, the latter line can be applied to majority of the online games. I mostly buy 100 points every now and then for the sake of electron remote. To date, the highest points I ever bought was 1000 points. It wasn't cheap.

Please understand that this isn't about laying down guilt and judgement to those who spent a lot on the game. The money was solely theirs and they can do anything whatever they wish to. It isn't anyone's business but their own. But what it is about an online game that pulled us to do it?

One simply just need to check the forum and you will see how people strutted their wares. Who doesn't want a "godly" armors or to have a pet well fed with item mall food? I would be a hypocrite if I wouldn't admit it.  In the realm of an online game, everything is possible. In short, if you got the money, you are as good as reaching the goal whatever you had set for.

I remember a time when I had a talk with a guild member. He was sitting down inside his shop and for some reason, I sensed a deep sadness within him. I invited myself in and urged him to talk. He told me of how the game had robbed him of his perception and he completely lose himself by throwing in so much money, buying item mall stuff and selling to "friends" for a measly sum of in-game gold. He said he did it to please them. I felt him there as I knew the feeling. He poured it all out to me and you can feel his pain. He wasn't happy with how the game had changed him.

What about those who wasn't privileged enough to afford anything from the item mall? To be a good trader, to be an Alchemist, to grow fruits and make syrups are some of the ways to earn gold. Unfortunately, that wasn't what some of the players had in mind. They either will resort to hacking, to play-act smart and rip-off newbies or to try to find the perfect time to scam someone. The no-life, pathetic people who will do all they can to get what they want. That is how perversely and sickly they are.

I knew of one player noted for being fast during PK event. Everyone was so impressed with his character, his pet and his riding pet. What they do not know was how this player hacked a girl, took out all her EXP capsules and fed them to his riding pet. He also took all her item mall armors and either used them to enhance his character more or sell them in exchange for better stuff. I don't think I need to mention the name. If you are from the server of Taurus, you will know who was the guy in question.

Another player who unashamedly will yell on world chat and plastered a link that promises free points. For many of the less experienced players, they will jump at the first opportunity to grab some free points. I wonder if anyone had ever told them that nothing in life is free. You click on the link and you are doomed. The link contains a trojan key or virus wherein the hacker will traced not only your WLO accounts but as well as your online bank information. He used this bank information to buy points for himself. He is a slime.

Looking back, I can't say I regretted every single cents I threw in to IGG's lap but it is not something to rejoice either. I supposed for an online gamer, we live by the present. We spent money in a game for different reasons. We play for entertainment, for pleasure or for comfort. Perhaps, what will bring us happiness on any given day is what really is important.

We all wanted to be somebody else in the game. We want to be complimented for the way our characters turned out...but with a price. In just a snap of my finger, I wasted US$11.00.  It was too late to go all sour and sulk on the money wasted. This...is...just...a...game. By the end of the day, we all need to deal with our real lives too. And for those who spent helluva real money, "If you got it, flaunt it."